Translate

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

DISABLED DOESN'T MEAN I AM DEAD

" I don't like the word Disabled because we shouldn't Dis anyone.  I heard this statement from Dawn Gee a local reporter the other day and t made me think about what it means to be disabled.  A lot of people assume that when you are disabled that you cant enjoy life.  Many think that those who are disabled are unable to do anything.

Let me make this clear there are things that I cannot do.  I cannot drive a car, because I never know when a vertigo attack will take me  down. I cannot mow my lawn, because the sound of the mower and the vibrations will start me on a spin I cannot just stop.  I cannot use a vacuum,  does the same thing as a mower.  I cannot work because I never know when I am going to hit the ground.

I also never know when I will be heading to the bathroom.  I also never know when I am going to fall asleep because the medicine I am on.  I also never know when sounds, sights and activities will be too much and I am done for the day. I also  know that there are a majority of days that I go into brain fog.  I also never know when the use of a computer will make me so dizzy  I cant stand straight.

Yet, what I also know is that I am not dead.   I have a mind that wants to be used.  I have a voice that wants to offer praises to God.   I have a heart that wants to give love to those that are in my life.  I also have a body though limited wants to live to find a cure.

Here is the truth all people have limitations.  Some people are more limited than others.  I do not know anyone that can do everything all the time.  Yet, people have a tendency to say that those that are worse off are disabled.  Therefor they are dissing us by thinking that we are unable of all things.

I want people to also know that everyone can do different things.  Just because someone has an illness doesn't mean that they have the same condition as a friend.  Nothing is more stressful than hearing my friend has that but they are able to function.  Even worse  you are not as sick as my friend that has the same illness.

People are a combination of many things.  People can have more than one illness and put together they may have limitations that others may not have.  Yet, just because they have limitations doesn't mean they are dead. People who pigeon hole sick people as unable of enjoying life are dissing the person.

I want people to know  that I am  not  dead because I have limitations.  My mind is one of the strongest things I have.  Even when I am in brain fog it still is functioning.  there is so much I wish I could do.  I would love to go on rides and watch movies.  I would love to go a restaurant and order whatever I want.  I would love to get  behind the wheel of a car and go for a long drive on a whim.

So the next time you see someone who has limitations  think about  what are they capable of doing.  Let's make it clear that limitations will change the way people do things.  Yet, just being able to write this every once and awhile gives me an outlet.  I know there are days that I will not be  able to write.  Yet, when I see people all over the world getting encouragement it makes my heart happy.

I want those that  are limited on what they can do to be encouraged.  Look at what you can do and be happy.  It might not be what you want to do but do not just  give up.  Those that keep going will find peace with their illness.  Those that give up are just setting themselves up to be miserable.

For my fellow fighters keep on fighting and remember one day they will figure this out and we will have won.  Until then don't give up hope.  It is okay to rest on bad days,  but on the good days enjoy life to your fullest because you deserve it.    

There is so much more and remember this is something that I live with and am writing from my perspective.  Talk to a doctor if you feel you may have this or any other disease because without proper diagnosis you will never get the treatment you deserve.


No comments:

Post a Comment