Translate

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Temporary Gastric Stimulator

Me and My Temporary Pacer
You may have heard of the Gastric Stimulator often times called Gastric Pacemaker.  If you look at the picture above you will see what the actual stimulator looks like.  It is amazing what this little thing can do.  But before  I talk about the permanent  pacer.  I wanted to give information about the temporary pacer.

Not all physicians perform the placement of a temporary pacer.  My physician is using this method and I was glad to know that it would benefit me before proceeding with the surgery.  On the other hand most physicians will not offer the pacer if they do not think it will work.  So it is up to you and the physician if a temporary pacer is needed.

The temporary Pacer allows physicians to know if the permanent pacer is right for you.  It works like the permanent and actually is the same machine. The procedure is very different and since this is a temporary pacer the effects will only last as long as the wires are attached to your stomach.

Before the pacer is placed the physician will need a baseline gastric emptying study and a EGG. This will help with both the diagnosis and information on whether or not the pacer works for you. This test are relatively easy you can go back to my blog on the emptying study if you have questions on that.  The EGG is a very simple test in which electrodes are placed on your abdomen and the electric frequency of the stomach is monitored.

The procedure to place the temporary stimulator is performed by an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.  The procedure is usually performed under conscious anesthesia.  When I had mine placed they had to use general anesthesia, but that is basically due to the fact that I do not do well with conscious sedation.  (Imagine telling your physician, "So that is what my Colon looks like."  When you are in the middle of a colonoscopy.  Been there and bought the t-shirt so they do not even use it for minor procedures.)   This is an outpatient procedure and only side effect is dealing with normal anesthesia affects.

The surgeon places two sets of temporary leads in your stomach.  This way if one detaches or doesn't work as well you will have a backup.  The wires are then brought back up your esophagus and brought out your nose.  If you have had a NG-Tube you will understand the effects.  The wires then are attached to a stimulator that you carry with you.

The biggest thing is that you need to make sure that you do not get it wet.  You will need to make sure that it is properly attached to your face so that the lines will not be pulled out.  I discovered that Tegaderm patches worked best for me (generic did not want to stick).  You can work or do other activities again remember that the stimulator needs to stay dry.

In about a weeks time you will come back for a second gastric emptying study and EGG.  There is also an appointment with the physician to determine if you felt like the pacer worked.  Sometimes the test show some improvement but you may feel something very different.  The concept is monitoring symptoms if you have had improvement the pacer is right for you.

Now here is where things get crazy you would think that the physician would remove the wires while you are there for the appointment.  Yet, in actuality the physician will allow the electrodes stay until they fall out on their own or at the day of placement of the permanent pacer.  I will not forget that happening around 4 am three days before my permanent pacer surgery.  Felt like little needle pricks as it slowly came back up my throat and out my nose.

If you have never had a NG-tube there are a few things that you might want to consider.  There will be irritation from the wires.  I solved the issue by using a small tegaderm type bandage on the side of my nose.   The other thing that shocked me as that as you drink or eat the wires will slide and tighten.  Very important that you allow for a little slack when you are attaching the wires to your face.

I felt better in a few days, but it did not mean I was healed.  The goal is to help with symptoms.  The fact that I felt less nauseous proved the stimulator worked.  The next step for me was the placement of a permanent pacer.  (I will talk about that in another blog).  For those that it doesn't help physicians look for other measures.  So do not give up hope the pacer is just one of the extreme lines of defense that physicians are using to treat digestive tract paralysis.

Well, I am calling it a night.  Exhausted and my tummy has decided to take revenge tonight.  It is a constant battle but I will not give up the fight.  Hope everyone else has a good tummy day tomorrow and remember don't ever give up.  We are in this fight together until there is a cure.

For my fellow fighters keep on fighting and remember one day they will figure this out and we will have won.  Until then don't give up hope.  It is okay to rest on bad days,  but on the good days enjoy life to your fullest because you deserve it.    

There is so much more and remember this is something that I live with and am writing from my perspective.  Talk to a doctor if you feel you may have this or any other disease because without proper diagnosis you will never get the treatment you deserve.  


1 comment:

  1. I realize this post is older, but I am hoping that you will still reply. I currently have the trial stimulator and earlier tonight jerked a good bit out of my nose on accident. How do I know if I messed up the trial? Just looking for answers bc it's a Sunday night. Thanks

    ReplyDelete